I have the pleasure of announcing that Fiduciary Leadership, LLC is one of the sponsors of this recurring educational conference. For a limited time only, I am told that interested parties can register early and receive a discount. Contact Mr. Joseph Gallagher at 212-352-3220, extension 5511, for details.
Besides two full days of interesting and timely presentations, the American Conference Institute conference about ERISA litigation gives attendees a chance to hear different perspectives. Scheduled speakers include investment experts, corporate counsel, defense litigators, plaintiffs' counsel, class action specialists, judges and fiduciary liability insurance executives, respectively.
Click to download the ACI ERISA Litigation Conference agenda or take a peek at the list of topics as shown below:
- Fifth Third v. Dudenhoeffer and the Impact of the Decision on the Future of Stock Drop Case and Litigation Regarding Plan Investments;
- ERISA Class Actions Post-Dukes and Comcast: Standing, Commonality, Releases and Arbitration Agreements, Monetary Classes, Issue Certification, Certification of “Class Of Plans”, Class Action Experts and Halliburton, and More;
- The Affordable Care Act, Health Care Reform and New Claims and Defenses in Workforce Realignment Litigation;
- 401(k) Fee Cases: Current Litigation Landscape and Recent Decisions, Evolving Defense Strategies, DOL Enforcement Initiatives, Impact of Tussey and Tibble, Excessive Fund Fees, and More;
- Retiree Health and Welfare Benefits: M&G Polymers USA, LLC v. Tackett and the Yard-Man Presumption;
- Multiemployer Pension Plan Withdrawal Liability;
- Independent Fiduciaries: Working with Them to Manage Plan Assets, Handle Administrative Functions and Authorize Transactions; and the Latest Claims Involving Failure to Monitor Independent Fiduciaries and/or Keep Them Informed;
- ESOP: New and Emerging Trends in Private Company ESOP Litigation, Lessons Learned from Recent Decisions in ESOP Cases, and the Latest on DOL Investigations and Enforcement Priorities;
- Benefit Claims Litigation: the Latest on ERISA-Specific Case Tracks Aimed at Discovery Disputes, Attorney Fees Post-Hardt, Limitation Periods in Plans, Addressing Requests for Evidence Outside of the Record in “Conflict” Situations, Judicial Review of Claims Decisions and the Battle Over Discretion, and More;
- Fiduciary Liability Insurance: Assessing Current Coverage and Future Needs & Strategic Litigation and Settlement Considerations;
- New Trends in Church Plan Litigation;
- New Trends in Top Hat Plans: The Latest Litigation Risks;
- Public Pension Developments and Trends; and
- Ethical Issues That Arise in ERISA Litigation: The Fiduciary Exception to Attorney-Client Privilege, the Question of Who Really Is Your Client.
In April of this year, I presented at the ACI ERISA Litigation conference in Chicago about working effectively with an economic and/or fiduciary expert. Click to access the slides entitled "Expert Coordination: Working With Financial and Fiduciary Experts" by Attorney Joseph M. Callow, Jr. (Keating Muething & Klekamp PLL), Attorney Ronald S. Kravitz (Shepherd, Finkelman, Miller & Shah, LLP) and Dr. Susan Mangiero (Fiduciary Leadership, LLC). For a recap of this session, click to read "ERISA Litigation and Use of Economic and Fiduciary Experts" (May 5, 2014).
On October 28, 2014, I will be part of a panel about public pension fund issues. I will be joined by Attorney Elaine C. Greenberg (Orrick, Herrington & Sutcliffe LLP) and Attorney H. Douglas Hinson (Alston & Bird LLP). Topics we plan to cover are shown below:
- Overview of Public Pension Market - Scope, Size and Funding Levels;
- Government Plan Hot Button Issues;
- Pension Reform:
- Pension Obligations and Bankruptcy, With Discussion of Detroit;
- SEC Enforcement Actions, With Discussion About the State of Illinois;
- New Accounting and Financial Reporting Standards;
- Use of Derivatives by Municipal Pension Plans;
- Fiduciary Breaches as They Relate to Due Diligence; and
- Suggestions for Risk Mitigation and Best Practices.
I hope to see you in the Big Apple in a few months!