Pension Risk Matters
2008 Letter to Pension Santa
I've worked hard this year so I hope I get something other than a lump of coal or a pink slip. It's been a tough year, with market volatility, investment complexity and unexpected large-scale fraud making me nervous about allocating monies to anything other than cash and zero return government IOUs. What happened to the era of big bonus paychecks and change to spare?
I need a few goodies to keep me going. I'll won't forget you. The cookies and milk are waiting in the usual spot by the fireplace.
Here's my wish list.
1. Steady returns that don't cost me a fortune in terms of hidden fees or excessive risk
2. Independent service providers who take risk management seriously
3. Someone to help me plan for a retirement before I'm too old to enjoy it
4. Someone to help me figure out how to get a job at 70 if I can't afford to retire by then
6. Someone to explain why the U.S. national debt clock had to add extra digits
7. Lawmakers who give me the straight skinny on the financial health of national safety net programs
8. Matching contributions to my 401(k) plan
9. A meaningful chance to replenish my broken nest egg
10. An occasional chuckle now and then as a break from very somber economic and financial news
By the way, I heard that even the North Pole is cutting back. Maybe you can unfreeze the elves' pension plan when things rebound.
Hang in there Santa!
Hard Working Person
P.S. If you want a bit of silliness, "elf yourself."
Editor's Note: Drop us a note and tell us what is on your wish list for 2009 and happy holidays!
929 White Plains Road
Trumbull, CT 06611-3938
Phone: (203) 261-5519